Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Ivy Blessing Clark
The first 3 months of Ivy love.

After my grand niece Ivy was born the baby pictures started to show up on my phone.
Right away I knew I wanted to make something special using the images and my rudimentary skills of letterpress and bindery.

   Ivy's first book.
 The size of the book was determined by how small I could edit the pictures and still hold their visual detail. I arraigned the images in an order that felt to me like a story without words and then drew up a pagination layout. .
                                           Making the inside pages


After printing the pictures the pages were cut, folded, collated, trimmed for the inside pages of the book. I stitched the pages together leaving a small loop at the top for an ornament hook so that the book could be hung onto a Christmas tree.


With the inside pages ready I could determine the size of the covers & how I was going to decorate them.
I was running out of time to finish the project so I went with simplicity. I stamped Ivy's name on the spine using 12 point Piranesi Italic and two little ornaments and matched it with 18 point on the cover.


I stamped the spine copy first so when I wrapped the covers the copy would be centered.
                                         Making the front covers
                                         
   After the covers were wrapped I hot foil stamped Ivy's name on the front.

Long story short, I then glued the inside pages into the cover 'case'. Colored the tassels, attached the ornament hook, made a die cut card case to hold the little bugger and just like that they were done.




















No comments:

Post a Comment